Puerto Rico provides committed to fulfilling their strength requires with 100% renewable power from the 2050, together with realizing meantime requirements from 40% by 2025, 60% because of the 2040, new phaseout away from coal-fired generation from the 2028, and you will a 30% improvement in energy efficiency because of the 2040 given that established in Puerto Rico Energy Public Policy Work (Work 17). In order to meet such requirements and you will help prevalent avoid-fool around with electrification, Puerto Rico was investigating renewable power or any other age group technology to own opportunity stores, delivered generation, shipping manage, digital car, and effort efficient and you will receptive plenty which might be implemented from inside the every one of Puerto Rico’s metropolitan areas and you may communities.
Brand new PR100 Study
Brand new Puerto Rico Grid Resilience and you will Transitions to 100% Renewable power Research (PR100) was a 2-12 months research because of the You.S. Institution out-of Energy’s (DOE’s) Grid Deployment Workplace and you will half dozen federal laboratories to help you totally get to know stakeholder-passionate paths to Puerto Rico’s brush energy upcoming. Circulated to your , PR100 requires four things, which have an emphasis on acting and looking at conditions one to meet Puerto Rico’s renewable power purpose and you may reach short-title recovery wants and you can a lot of time-label opportunity strength.
PR100 try funded mainly because of an interagency agreement for the Government Disaster Management Agency (FEMA), therefore the analysis is part of a more impressive profile regarding support to own Puerto Rico times think, while the articulated inside the a memorandum from understanding ranging from DOE, the new You.S. Company regarding Homeland Shelter, this new You.S. Institution from Houses and you may Urban Innovation (HUD), and Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. A last written declaration and you will web-oriented layouts could well be published into the late 2023. All products and you can societal situations for the study might possibly be available in Foreign language and you will English.
- Government Companies: Your panels is contributed of the U.S. Institution away from Energy’s Grid Deployment Office and you will financed by way of an interagency contract to the Federal Disaster Government Agencies.
- Federal Labs: World-group analysis performed of the Federal Renewable power Research (head laboratory) with Argonne Federal Bureau SingleSlavic Research, Lawrence Berkeley Federal Laboratory, Pine Ridge National Research, Pacific Northwest Federal Lab, and you may Sandia Federal Laboratories.
- Direction Committee: Government recuperation funders and you will regional personal implementers (elizabeth.g., the Puerto Rico Electrical power Power, LUMA Time, Puerto Rico Energy Bureau [PREB], and also the Puerto Rico Institution regarding Houses) help guide DOE’s collection out of tech direction projects.
- Advisory Group: A section out-of stakeholders convenes daily to incorporate related outside views towards the federal laboratories. Groups represented is academia, community-based groups, individual solar and you may storage developers, the business neighborhood, and you will municipalities.
- Six-Few days Advances Statement (): This new statement provides a six-week advances improve towards the study, plus speech out-of four very first circumstance outlined that have thorough stakeholder enter in.
- One-Seasons Improvements Share): New declaration summarizes things presented in the 1st 12 months of one’s study, together with very first consequence of first acting and you may data of your own feasibility, influences, and you will tradeoffs of any circumstances.
- High-Quality Solar and you may Cinch Studies Set (): Probably one of the most crucial issues having getting together with 100% renewable energy is whether or not Puerto Rico’s sustainable money potential is sufficient-can there be adequate sunlight, piece of cake, hydro, and other sources of renewable energy? To resolve this question i held tests of technology potential regarding many different renewable energy info from inside the Puerto Rico, and we generated high-resolution, multiyear resource data set for home-oriented breeze, overseas cinch, and you will solar power. The fresh solar studies is actually publicly offered by in addition to piece of cake data is in public offered by
Visit the DOE Puerto Rico Grid Recovery and Adaptation page for more information on the fresh new department’s situations supporting Puerto Rico. NREL’s ongoing and you can previous factors to help with opportunity considered inside the Puerto Rico, together with books, equipment, or other resources, is obtainable towards lab’s Multi-Research Time Thought Support for Puerto Rico page.